Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Don't be a Tosser

Several weeks ago, we vacationed just outside Gatlinburg, TN. One morning, Madeline and I decided to go for a walk. She announced she was taking along her notebook and pencil to record all the interesting things we saw.

A few items on her list: were:
goats
Smokey Mountains
flowers
waterfall

At any rate, we turned to start walking down more of a main road. She quickly stopped and turned to me. Here is our conversation:
M: Mom, I don't think God would be happy with all this litter.
Me: (I look down and notice that she indeed has just recorded "litter" on her list) You're probably right babe.
M: I think He would be really sad that people are trashing up His earth.
Me: You're right. (what am I supposed to say? I'm the one learning at this point)
M: I think we need to go get a trash bag and clean it all up.
Me: (please tell me she didn't just say that?!? Its getting hotter by the minute -- supposed to be 105 today) Really, honey?
M: Yes, Mom. We need to.

And so we truck back up the huge hills to our cabin and retrieve a trash bag, then return to the road to begin retrieving
the trash that people have littered as they eat on the go and then dump their rubbish en route. Ick.
After about an eternity (ok, it was a mere 20 minutes, but still!), I announce that we should probably head back to the cabin to which Madeline responds, "I think we should continue."
And so we did.

Our Environment, Its a Living Thing.
For more information on litter prevention, go to www.environment.nsw.gov.au/litter
(Its what she would want me to do!)

No comments: