Friday, December 12, 2008

A Heavenly Perspective

Our Pastor heard this story from a friend of ours and asked Ron to share it during his sermon:
--------------------------------------------------
As I was packing for a 2-day business trip, I was approached by Madeline, our 7-year-old daughter.  She said in a soft and almost troubled voice, "Daddy, you can't go.  You have to stay." 
I knew by her eyes and the tone of her voice that this was sincere.....it was not that she was losing her jungle gym for 2 days (I like to rough house with the kids) but more that she was in a place that she didn't want to be without me.
We had recently watched a movie together where the little girl was not sure her father was going to return to her.  I knew this was on her mind.
I explained that while she was far more important than my job, I did have a responsibility to do my work with excellence....which sometimes means an out-of-town trip.  Following through on my work is honoring to God and my family.  She seemed to understand, but was still not happy about it.

A few minutes later she brought me a note -- and in her wonderful 7 year-old letters -- she wrote, "Please sleep on the floor beside my bed tonight?  Circle 'Yes' or 'No'"
Of course I circled "Yes!"

She returned a few minutes later with an addition to the note that said, "What time? _____"
I wrote down a time and she seemed satisfied with the response.

Later that night, I went in to sleep beside her bed.  I found a new note sitting on top of two pillows.  "Please bring me down to sleep with you.  Put me on the stripes pillow and you get to sleep on the pink pillow.  And don't forget to snuggle with me."

I can't tell you what a precious moment that was.  Her genuine desire to be near me.  It was not a manipulative thing, just pure and genuine love.  She could have asked me for anything - literally anything! - at that moment and I would have given it to her.

I felt like a got a glimpse into our Heavenly Father's perspective.  He just loves when we want to be near Him.  When we have that genuine desire, there is nothing He wouldn't do for us.

-Ron
11-16-08

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had tears in my eyes while reading that. How precious! and definitely How true!

The4Scotts said...

I'm with Angie...tears in my eyes. How very precious!!

CIRCLE OF LIFE said...

HI THERE TAHNK YOU SO VERY MUCH . YES I DI YESTERDAY RECIEVE THEM BOTH THEY WERE SENT IN TO ANOTHER FOLDER. I ALSO COMMENTED THAT I DID THE POSTS AND THE BUTTON ON MY BLOG AS WELL. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE FOLLOW UP THAT WAS TOO KIND HAVE A BLESSED EVENING . MICHELLE.

Molly said...

Wonderful story, Ron. I'm so happy that you've become such a strong, centered man. Your family is lucky to have each other.