Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mr. Miyagi

So, we are sitting at breakfast this morning and I am trying to get Madeline to hurry it along before she has to leave for school....(eating her cereal)
I say to her, "Focus, Daniel Son!" and she looks at me like I've just come from the moon.
"I'm not Daniel", she says.
I explain that its a quote from the movie "Karate Kid" and she is just a little too young to get it.....at which point the 20 yo college student that lives with us (my cousin) chimes in. Here is an excerpt:

Britt: What is Karate Kid?
Me: You know, the movie.
Britt: No, I don't.
Me: Come on. Daniel Son. Mr. Miyagi. Karate Kid!
Britt: Never heard of it.

This conversation plagues me all morning and I am convinced that she is mistaken. She just missed it, right? She just happened to NOT have seen the 6 Karate Kid movies that were released (there were a few). That has to be it. And I can completely relate to that. We didn't have a television in our home until I was in high school. All those nights you were curled up on the couch with your family watching "The Cosby Show" .....I was playing outside in the yard. No wait, I was probably giving the twins a bath. But, I digress.

So, I look up the release date of Karate Kid. 1984. She was negative 3.
I'm old. This really stinks. I'm old.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what karate kid is and I was born in 1983, so thats not that bad...and Becky and I have a running bet, did you have to look up how to spell Miyagi?

Giving Love Encounters said...

Definite look-up....as I was checking the release date! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, my dear Cos. I'll make you feel better: I'm 5 months older than you! So while we're both old, we'll grow old together (and Bill will ALWAYS be older than us!). Sweep the leg, baby!

Anonymous said...

Darn it, where is the edit function when you need it?! :) That last one is from me.
Love you,
Betsy