Monday, September 15, 2008

Remnants of Ike

Here is the beginning of the wind unleashing its furry.  I snapped this right before a slab of shingles almost flattened me.  

Here is one side of the roof after the roofers finished tarping it.  I kinda like the look.  I'm thinking about keeping it.
-------------------------------------

Yesterday was c-r-a-z-y.

We decided it would be a delightful day to celebrate 2 of my niece's birthdays at the park.  
Isn't this starting out so quaint?  Like a perfect Sunday afternoon?  Don't be fooled.
The park would have been delightful - had it not been for the 70 mph gusts of wind that accompanied us.  Leave it to our family to not check the weather....
We managed to frantically eat 2 small bites of cake before jetting to our cars.

We then decided to check on Ron's Grandma and found ourselves head to head with a gigantic tree which had fallen in the road.  The best part was when Ron thought he would "just move the tree so others could use the road" -- that is an entirely different entry.  I wish I could post the picture I took on my phone!

Afterwards, we pulled into the grocery to grab some milk for Gabbers.  We should have known something was amiss when we saw dozens of workers outside the store but did we turn around and flee?  We did not.  We learned that the store was closed (due to power outage) about 4 seconds before a flying grocery cart came crashing into the side of the Denali.  Damage?  Yes.

That's it though, right?  How could anything else possibly happen?  Well, I'm glad you asked. We arrived home to find hundreds of roof shingles flying off our roof.  Again, we should have known when we entered the neighborhood and saw large sheets of shingles flying around the main street.   
(Thank you to our many neighbors who phoned us and/or chased down shingles in the storm.)

I will post a picture later.....just to keep the comedy alive.  Praying that the roofers arrive before the rain.  
That is important when your roof is now plywood, right?

And please say a prayer for those hit by Ike.  We only caught a tiny, itty-bitty glimpse of him in our city and there are 250,000 homes without power....they are saying for maybe a week. Every school is closed.  Businesses are without power and internet.
I called the insurance company to file a claim on the roof and they said their systems are down and not to expect a call back until the end of the week.  If that is the case here -- with only a wind storm -- the people in TX need our help!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm glad everyone is ok. We had some high winds here in PA last night, but nothing major. I can't imagine living in a hurricane prone area. All those families will definitely be in my prayers. Have a great day!

Jen said...

Saw the picture of Ron and The Tree. What a shame you can't post it. Let me just tell others there is NO WAY he could have moved the tree. It was enormous and took up the entire road. ;)

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

OHHHH....pls be safe!! We are thinking of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope your roof gets fixed!!!!

Becky said...

Ike is no good for anyone. Fact.